I didn't realize how long this one had been sitting on the self, but apparently I started working on it around Christmas. I had gotten the idea for this ray gun while working on another with a similar body shape. I wanted the end to be a setting dial that you could twist, but I had a hell of a time getting it to work right, so it sat on a shelf until this morning, when I finally figured it out.
Here is the earliest WIP picture. Still using plexiglass for the fin here, though I have tried some other options since. The fin is a good thickness, and pretty tough, but it is a bitch to cut. Using wood for the barrel. I tried sealing the barrel to keep the grain from giving away that its wood, but that didn't work out very well; I eventually just wrapped the big pieces in electrical tape.
Here is a pic with the twisting dial set in the back. I use a template for my wooden grips, but the normal handle style interfered with the dial. So, I had to create a grip that kept the hand off of the dial , but was still organic and comfortable.
Then business as usual; paint-paint-paint, glue-glue-glue, and it was done.
I just could not stop adding gold accents to this peice. The intensiometer was a new direction that I've been wanting to try for a while; I really love the way it came out.
The whole back piece of the body is the setting dial, and it twists under a gold-painted and stylish arrow. The idea for the mechanism is a few months old, but most of the finishing touches were concocted today.
Glad it is finally finished, hope you like it.